America Under the Talmud: Will It Work for US? by Carol A. Valentine
Let's read the Talmud together: By finding out about each others' faiths, Jews and non-Jews can build bridges to understanding.
- What We're About — The Very Reverend the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the British Commonwealth, Professor Jonathan Sacks, has made a brilliant suggestion that we most heartily applaud. Let us learn about each others' faiths.
- We're ADL Compatible — Some people may feel that by inquiring about or commenting upon the Jewish religion, they may give offense to a widely persecuted group. At Come and Hear™, there are no grounds for those concerns.
- Nomenclature of Come-and-Hear™ — How we use the words Jew and Jewish.
Let the Rabbis tell us about the Talmud. Why is this fundamental book of Judaism unknown to most Americans?
- What is the Talmud? — Quoting Rabbi Michael L. Rodkinson, "The Talmud … is the written form of that which, in the time of Jesus, was called the Traditions of the Elders, and to which he makes frequent allusions."
- Structure of the Talmud Files — How these Talmud files work.
- Critical Words of Talmud Study — The Talmud's internal logic and vocabulary, explained by the rabbis. Why was the Talmud inaccessible to Western Man for so long? Subjects covered: Exegesis, Pharisee, Pentateuch, Midrash, Torah, Idolater, Divine Law, and Halachah / Halakha.
- More Critical Words of Talmud Study — Continuing with Critical Words, this section discusses Oral Law, Mishnah, When Was the Talmud Put in Writing, Haggadah, and Gemara, and includes some history of these terms. The sidebar carries a short pictorial of the history of Judaism.
Appendix: Moses in Heaven
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reportedly revealed at a Likud conference on Wednesday some remarkable facets of the Basic Law he submitted last Thursday, which would enshrine Israel’s status as the nation-state of the Jewish people.
Netanyahu told the head of Likud’s hareidi division Yaakov Vider at the conference that he intends to make the Hebrew calendar, which is based on Jewish law, the official calendar of Israel, reports Kikar Hashabat.
The new law also would establish the Talmud, the core work of Jewish law, as an official basis for Israeli state law.
And here from "Come and Hear".
Unbeknownst to most Americans, the US Congress has been gradually changing the fundamentals of American law. The movement for change started as early as 1975, when Congress passed a resolution honoring the birthday of a prominent rabbi, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, ("the Rebbe") of the Chabad Lubavitch sect (sometimes this sect is called "ultra-Orthodox"). The movement ratcheted forward in 1991, when Congress coupled Rabbi Schneerson's happy birthday message with a declaration that the United States of America was founded on the seven Noahide Laws. (1)
The Noahide Laws promise deadly consequences for Christians. We shall understand why a little later.
Jesus And The Traditions Of The Elders (Matthew 15:1-20)
Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.